These are notes for Professor Varenne's Summer A class on Technology, Culture, Education that meets in 362 Grace Dodge Hall on Mondays and Wednesdays, 1:45 PM - 4:05 PM. Everyone is welcome to use and edit on these pages. If you need help on working on these pages, you can either look at the Help page, check out this custom made help page, or contact me. Aaron Hung
Link to Professor Varenne's notes for this course.
- Technology: possibility and determination?
- (Ethno-)Methodology for (de)constructing human production
- Human (dis-)abilities: expansions through tools and institutions
- Hoes, plows and familial strategies
- Irrigation: Power and social structure
- The power of the printed word
- Possibilities in print: Play and control
- Industrialization I: The imagination of the machines
- Industrialization II: The experience of machines
- Living with the bomb
- The body and the machine
- Further reading
- Varenne, Herve "Difficult collective deliberations: Anthropological notes towards a theory of education." in Teachers College Record, 109, 7: 1559-1587