Group 1: historical and philosophical foundations of education
Our group meeting place: 307, 3rd Floor Russell Hall, 2/14 4:00 - 5:00 Eric Strome 21:10, 12 February 2008 (EST)
Sorry, I'm just out of a meeting and cannot make it down! I'll catch up with you guys via StudyPlace over the weekend.
- Studio Reserve
- Meet via connect 3/4, 7:00 book club
Discussion Questions on Paidea - March 4th, 2008
1) Compare and contrast the lives of the Helots in classical Sparta with the lives of African-American chattel slaves during the first half of American history.
2) Explore the nature of classical political systems, notably how such systems may have evolved into the governmental systems that we have seen in the 20th Century.
3) What are the inherent advantages of the lifelong mentor relationship used during the Greek classical period? What are the weaknesses?
4) How do the classical epics of Homer dictate what would later form the foundation of not only Greek morality but also the morality of Western civilization in general?
5) The morality of the common man as we know it can usually be traced back to Helios and his famous moral lessons. What aspects of this moral code have lasted up to the present day? What parts of the code have been dismissed over time?